Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is a scholarly journal article?
All About Links
Make sure that your link works! If you are using an article that you got from a library database, the URL from the URL bar cannot be copy/pasted and used later. You have two choices:
- Download the article and then upload it to your Google Drive. Use the "Get Link" button to get a working link to your PDF (make sure to adjust the permissions).
- Use the correct Permalink within the database, including the Proxy stanza. In ProQuest, this link is on the Details tab. In Academic Search Premier, use the Permalink and add this to the beginning of the URL: http://edmonds.idm.oclc.org/login?url=
Haley can help you with this! If you have any questions or want me to check your links, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tips for searching in a database
Google Scholar Tips
Set-up Google Scholar to link to Edmonds Library subscriptions
- Go to Google Scholar search page
- Click on the three lines in the upper left
- Click on Settings, then Library Links
- Search for Edmonds, then click the check box for "Edmonds Community College - View it @ EDCC"
- Click Save
- If you are logged into Chrome, this setting will be saved. If not, you can do it just for one session.
Getting articles that aren't full-text:
- If there are no PDF, HTML, or Edmonds links on the right, click the title of the article
- This will take you to the publisher's website, where the article may or may not be free
- If they are asking for money for the article, don't pay!
- Try searching the title of the article (not the journal) in quotation marks in Google (not Google Scholar). Believe it or not, this will produce a different set of results and can sometimes lead to full text.
- If those strategies do not work, email the article title to Haley and she will order the article for you